Portarlington Grand Hotel is committed to protecting your personal information. This policy outlines how we collect, use and manage personal information.
When collecting, using and handling personal information, Portarlington Grand Hotel is required to comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles set out in that Act.
In this policy, ‘personal information’ means information or an opinion about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable (whether the information is true or not or recorded in any form or not).
‘Personal information’ when used in this policy also includes sensitive information and health information. ‘Sensitive information’ is personal information about an individual’s health, racial or ethnic origin, political opinions or memberships, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, professional or trade association/union memberships, sexual preferences and practices or criminal record. ‘Health information’ includes information about an individual’s physical or psychological health, health services provided to the individual or an individual’s expressed wishes about the future provision of health services.
Who is Portarlington Grand Hotel?
In this policy, Portarlington Grand Hotel refers to The Grand Hotel Portarlington (ACN 631 651 860).
Why do we collect your personal information?
Portarlington Grand Hotel needs to collect personal information about individuals to:
- Providing services.
- Promoting and growing our business.
- Undertaking research and development and improving our services.
- Obtaining services from other businesses.
- Employing staff.
- Participating in industry processes.
- Complying with legal and regulatory obligations.
- Protecting our rights and entitlements.
We also collect personal information about staff and about individuals who are or are associated with our contractors, business partners and service providers.
If the information we require is not provided, we may not be able to provide the services you want or to the level you want. For example, we may be unable to:
- provide you with our services;
- deal with enquiries and complaints.
What personal information do we collect?
The types of personal information Portarlington Grand Hotel collects depends on the type of service sought or provided. We may collect the following types of personal information:
- email address;
- telephone number and other contact details;
- date of birth;
- any additional information about you that you provide to us, including through your use of our venues, our website, our online presence or through other websites or accounts from which you permit us to collect information; or
any other personal information that may be required in order to facilitate your dealings with us.
How do we collect and hold personal information?
Where possible, we will collect your personal information in different ways and through a number of different media including:
- By telephone
- By email
- Through face to face communications
- Via digital or online resources
- By hard copy correspondence and documentation;
We keep different types of records that include personal information. These include records stored electronically on data bases and also hard copy files. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we keep is protected from misuse, loss or any unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to destroy or de-identify personal information that we no longer need.
Use and disclosure of personal information
Portarlington Grand Hotel only uses and discloses personal information it collects for purposes that are related to the services it provides.
Depending on the type of services, we may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide a service.
- To undertake research and development activities.
- To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations.
- To provide employment opportunities
- To deal with complaints.
- To protect our rights and entitlements.
It is our general policy not to disclose your personal information to external organisations. However, Portarlington Grand Hotel may sometimes need to disclose personal information to third parties for the purposes set out above. In particular, we may disclose personal information to:
- Related entities.
- Credit reporting agencies.
- Our suppliers.
- Our contractors or agents.
- Government or regulatory bodies.
- Law enforcement bodies.
- Complaint handling bodies.
- Our professional advisers.
Unless you opt out from receiving direct marketing from us, we, or third parties on our behalf, may also use and disclose your personal information to contact you to provide information to you about our products and services.
We are also permitted to use or disclose personal information for other secondary purposes including the following:
- where the individual has consented to the use or disclosure for the secondary purpose;
- the secondary purpose is related to (or in the case of sensitive information directly related to) the purpose for which the personal information was collected and the individual concerned would reasonably expect us to use or disclose the information;
- the use or disclosure is required or authorised under an Australian law or a court or tribunal order;
- a permitted general or health situation exists as defined in the Privacy Act; or
- we reasonably believe that the use or disclosure of the personal information is reasonably necessary for one or more enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body.
We may also disclose information to IT service providers and other service providers we may engage to help manage our information resources. These persons are generally located within Australia.
Accessing and correcting personal information we hold about you
- we reasonably believe that giving access would pose a serious threat to the life, health or safety of any individual, or to public health or public safety;
- giving access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of other individuals;
- the request for access is frivolous or vexatious;
- the information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings between us and the individual, and would not be accessible by the process of discovery in those proceedings;
- giving access would reveal our intentions in relation to negotiations with the individual in such a way as to prejudice those negotiations;
- giving access would be unlawful;
- denying access is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order;
- both of the following apply:
- we have reason to suspect that unlawful activity, or misconduct of a serious nature, that relates to its functions or activities has been, is being or may be engaged in;
- giving access would be likely to prejudice the taking of appropriate action in relation to the matter;
- giving access would be likely to prejudice one or more enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body; or
- giving access would reveal evaluative information generated by us in connection with a commercially sensitive decision-making process.
What should you do if you believe personal information held by us about you is wrong?
- Where we are satisfied that the personal information is wrong, we will take such steps (if any) as are reasonable in the circumstances to correct the personal information.
Dealing with Portarlington Grand Hotel online
This policy also applies to personal information that you email to Portarlington Grand Hotel or provide when using our website.
There are inherent risks in transmitting information across the internet. Portarlington Grand Hotel cannot ensure the security of personal information transmitted to us via online channels. Once we receive personal information online, we take steps to protect that information from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification and disclosure in accordance with this policy.
- each page of the website that you visit;
- your server address;
- the type of browser you are using;
- your operating system;
- your top level domain name;
- the date and time that each page is accessed; and
- documents that you download.
Search terms that you enter when searching our publications database engine are collected, but are not associated with any other information that we collect, hence the user is not identifiable. We use these search terms to ascertain what users are looking for on our website and to improve the services that we provide.
The information is used for the purpose of statistical usage analysis or systems administration.
This policy does not apply to, and Portarlington Grand Hotel is not responsible for, the use of or the protection of information provided to any other websites that may be linked to our website.
How to contact us?
76 Newcombe St
Portarlington VIC 3233
or via email at email@example.com